What is the County Court Business Centre?

Image of author, Maxine McCreadie

Maxine McCreadie


At the time of writing, our team thoroughly fact-checks content to ensure accuracy. However, it’s important to note that information may change and sometimes we may miss details (after all, we’re only human!). Therefore, it’s crucial to read the terms and conditions of any products you’re considering before you apply.

If you have outstanding debts, you may have received a letter from the County Court Business Centre informing you that your creditor is taking legal action against you to recover the money they are owed. But what is the County Court Business Centre and what does it do?

Since 1992, the County Court Business Centre (CCBC) has acted as the central point for County Courts in England and Wales by handling a number of administrative processes and online claims without the need to hold physical hearings.

This article will outline everything you need to know about the County Court Business Centre (CCBS), including what the CCBC does, how to get in contact with the CCBC, and how to avoid court action over an unpaid debt.

You could write off up to 81% of your unsecured debt today

What does the County Court Business Centre do?

The County Court Business Centre (CCBC) or Northampton County Court Business Centre is responsible for handling various administrative processes carried out by County Courts in England and Wales.

The CCBC, which is a regulated branch of the courts, mainly deals with online claims received by the Money Claim Online (MCOL) by sending debtors notice letters of claims and cases and enforcing County Court Judgments (CCJs).

For claims that require a physical hearing, a Notice of Transfer will be issued to transfer the case to the appropriate County Court, which is usually the one closest to where you live.

Here are some of the services carried out by the CCBC:

  • Bulk money claims – This is when a creditor files several claims at the same time instead of filing a separate claim form for each debtor
  • Parking tickets and driving fines – The CCBC deals with any challenges to parking tickets and driving fines
  • Employer deductions – When deductions need to be made from a debtor’s wages to repay an outstanding debt, the CCBC will manage the process
  • Court orders – The CCBC manages administrative processes related to the enforcement of court orders, such as County Court Judgments (CCJs), Charging Orders, and Attachment of Earnings Orders

What is the County Court?

Sometimes referred to as a lower-level version of the High Court or the ‘Small Claims Court’, the County Court is a civil court for England and Wales that deals with private disputes between individuals. Unlike the Magistrates’ Court, which handles criminal cases, the County Court only deals with civil (non-criminal) matters.

Typically, a civil case is filed when an individual or company (the plaintiff) believes their rights have been infringed by another individual or company (the defendant) and is seeking legal help to resolve the situation.

In the UK, a set of rules known as the Civil Procedure Rules exists to ensure all cases heard at the County Court are handled justly and fairly for all parties.

Do I have to pay a parking fine from the County Court Business Centre?

Receiving a parking fine from the County Court Business Centre can be daunting, but you have options.

For example, before making a payment to the CCBC, you must confirm the parking fine is yours by:

  • Checking your credit file – The parking fine debt should be listed on your credit file
  • Contacting the CCBC – The CCBC should be able to confirm the debt is yours in writing

If the CCBC can prove the parking fine is yours, you will be required to pay it and can request a repayment plan or pay the full amount within a month to have the debt removed from your credit file.

If the parking fine isn’t yours or is too old to be enforced, you may be able to file a written defence, clearly citing the reason why you shouldn’t pay it.

What should I do if I receive a County Court Judgment (CCJ) from the County Court Business Centre?

The County Court Business Centre is a legitimate branch of the courts and any correspondence should be dealt with in the same way as any letters sent directly from the County Court.

This means that, if you receive notice of a CCJ from the CCBC, you must respond as soon as possible, agreeing to pay in full or proposing suitable repayment terms. The sooner you respond to a CCJ, the less impact it will have on your credit history.

Repaying the full amount owed in a CCJ within one calendar month will get the judgment removed from your credit file and a public register known as the Register of Judgments, Orders, and Fines. Otherwise, it will be listed for six years.

Failure to respond to a notice of a CCJ could lead to the CCBC hiring enforcement agents or bailiffs to recover the amount owed on their behalf.

We have a wide range of debt management solutions that could help you write off up to 81% of your debts.

Check if you qualify

How do I contact the County Court Business Centre?

The County Court Business Centre can be contacted in several ways:

Call: 0300 123 1056

Email: [email protected]


St. Katharine’s House
21-27 St. Katharine’s Street

What is the Civil National Business Centre?

On August 14, 2023, the County Court Business Centre (CCMC) and the County Court Money Claim Centre (CCMCC) were replaced by the newly formed Civil National Business Centre (CNBC).

All claims received before September 1, 2023, were still accepted if they were addressed to CCMC or CCMCC, while any correspondence sent after August 14, 2023, will come from the CNBC. Furthermore, any claims addressed to the CCMC or CCMCC after September 1, 2023, will be returned to sender.

However, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has confirmed there will be no changes to existing customer contact details and paper documents can still be sent to the same address. The current email address and phone number will also stay the same.

How we helped Karen

Absolutely fantastic team, which helped throughout the whole process and kept me updated through every step, highly recommend. Can’t believe how much better I feel the worry has been lifted."


Get help like Karen did

How can I avoid court action over an unpaid debt?

The thought of being taken to court or chased by a debt collection company over an unpaid debt can be stressful, but there are steps you can take to take control of your debt and avoid court action.


An Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) can allow you to repay what you owe through a series of regular instalments based on your financial circumstances for an agreed period of time, after which your remaining debts will be written off.

An IVA can also put a stop to any ongoing court proceedings and freeze contact and harassment from creditors and debt collectors, giving you peace of mind to repay your debts.

Debt Management Plan

A Debt Management Plan (DMP) can help you repay what you owe through a series of monthly payments based on what you can reasonably afford.

With a DMP, your monthly payments will be divided between your creditors until your debts been repaid, allowing you to have a fresh start with your finances.

Trust Deed

In Scotland, a Trust Deed is similar to an IVA in that it is an agreement between you and your creditors to repay a regular amount of money towards your debts.

When you leave your arrangement, which usually takes around four years, your remaining debts will be written off.